Levermore Global Scholars Values
Emphasizing the importance of social responsibility and justice.
Levermore Global Scholars recognize and internalize the importance of social responsibility and justice, civic participation, community engagement, global awareness and global activism, all of which is reflected in scholars’ activities that include:
- Global learning in LGS seminars, participation in United Nations conferences and workshops, attending events with foreign leaders and policy makers;
- Community action projects integrated into LGS seminars, independently pursued internships, group volunteer activities and scholars’ initiatives;
- Engagement in international service and opportunities for study abroad in more than 120 countries;
- Participation in cultural excursions and artistic events in and around New York City.
An LGS Scholar is:
I. An Active and Informed Globalist
- who is able to demonstrate understanding of major issues, processes and trends of global importance, recognize that different societies and nations hold varied views on the same concerns and better appreciate that we all face varying global challenges despite the global interdependence of cultures, traditions and governance;
- who has greater readiness and preparedness for shorter and longer stays abroad in order to learn about other cultures, nations and societies;
- who has a working knowledge of at least one foreign language.
II. A Compassionate Citizen
- who has appreciation for and experience in civic participation, volunteering, educating others and helping alleviate problems in a community.
III. A Generalist
- who is aware of the interconnectedness and the interdependence of various contemporary phenomena, their historical, philosophical, socio-cultural or environmental underpinnings and is able to demonstrate an understanding of the relationship between and among various academic disciplines in the context of analysis of different domestic and global economic, environmental, social, cultural and political phenomena.
IV. A Thinker, Motivator and Doer
- who develops the intellectual abilities to come up with ideas for positive social and global change and acquires skills, knowledge and experience of how to implement initiatives and get others involved.